To become a licensed Broker an individual must:
- Meet the statutory licensing qualifications of honesty, integrity, truthfulness, reputation, and competency. (Utah Code Annotated 61-2-6)
Note: According to Administrative Rules R162-2-2.9 and 2.10, an applicant does NOT qualify for a real estate license if he or she has any felony in the last five years (starting from the time of conviction/plea or completion of any jail/prison sentence) OR if the applicant has any misdemeanor involving fraud, misrepresentation, theft, or dishonesty within the last three years.
- Have at least three years of real estate experience.
- Accumulate a total of at least 60 points within the five years preceding application.
- Take 120 hours of approved education at a certified Real Estate Pre-License School, consisting of:
- Part 1 Utah Law 30 Hours, including 3 hours testing
- Part 2 Broker Principles (Fundamentals) 45 Hours, including 4 hours of testing
- Part 3 Broker Practices (Broker Level) 45 Hours, including 4 hours of testing
- Take and pass the Broker exam.
- Submit to the Division:
- Completed and signed application (issued at the testing center).
- Signed original school certificates (issued by the real estate school) or Education Waiver (issued by the Division).
- Signed and Notarized Broker Experience Documentation Form showing at least three years of qualifying experience.
- Completed and signed Broker Transaction Log or Broker Property Management Log showing at least 60 experience points within the five years proceeding application.
- Signed and notarized Broker Verification Form completed by each Broker with whom the applicant has affiliated during the five years proceeding application.
Note: Forms must be submitted in a sealed envelope with the broker's signature across the seal.
- For Principal and Branch Brokers, a notarized letter on the company’s letterhead, signed by a company Officer, Manager/Member or Owner, authorizing the Broker to use the company name.
- Two fingerprint cards (Blue FD-258) or receipt of digital fingerprints submission.
- $158 total non-refundable fee ($100 application fee, $18 recovery fund fee and $40 fingerprint processing fee).
- Social Security Verification Form completed.
Note: Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant.